If you're a veteran player looking for the ultimate test of your RuneScape skill and knowledge, Ironman Mode is the only way to play.
With no trade, no multiplayer and no XP handouts, it's about earning everything with blood, sweat and tears - through gathering and crafting, or prising it from the claws of Gielinor's nastiest beasts.
If that sounds like a breeze to you, consider Hardcore Ironman. That's all the challenge of Ironman...with permanent death.
How to Start
To start your epic Ironman saga, first create an account. Then, select your desired mode from the 'Advanced Mode' drop-down menu in the 'Design your Hero' section of the character creation screen.
What are the Restrictions?
Ironman accounts have the following restrictions:
- No player-to-player trades
- No Grand Exchange trades, except Bonds
- No picking up drops from other players
- No Lootshare, except in Ironman-only groups
- No XP or loot in PvP
- Rewards from multiplayer minigames are greatly limited
- Most facilities in other players' houses cannot be used
- No assist or accept aid
- Dungeoneering is solo only
- No Sinkholes or Warbands
- No Treasure Hunter
- No Wicked Pouch from Solomon's Store
- No Refer a Friend
- No Social Slayer
- Daily challenge rewards and Clan Citadel XP are reduced
- No benefit will be received from group buffs, abilities or spells cast by others
- Any group abilities or spells cast by an Ironman players will only affect the caster
- You must deal more than half the total damage to a monster before you will receive drops from it
- Combat XP is reduced if you do less than 100% of the damage needed to kill an enemy (i.e. if someone else is fighting it as well)
A Hardcore Ironman account has all of the above restrictions, with one addition: when you die to a non-safe in-game activity, your account will no longer be playable. You'll have to play carefully and pick your battles if you hope to survive this - the toughest of all RuneScape challenges.
Ironman accounts come with exclusive armour overrides (available from 17th October 2016), titles and chat badges to show off their prestigious status, and there are Ironman hiscores to compete on. The real reward, though, is knowing that every hard-won victory is yours alone.
Help! I've changed my mind!
Ironman is not for everyone - especially Hardcore - and if you find you'd prefer an easier time, there's no need to lose the progress that you've made on your Ironman account.
Hardcore Ironman players can purchase two extra lives from Mr Ex in Edgeville: one at total level 1000, and another at 1600. The first costs 100,000 coins, and the second 10 million. Once these two extra lives have been purchased, you can't get any more for that account.
This is an optional safety net, in case you want to protect your investment in your Hardcore character while keeping death dangerous.
Mr Ex can sell you a jar of divine light, which will change a Hardcore Ironman character to an Ironman character. He'll also sell you a book of diplomacy, which will change an Ironman account to a normal account. Note that changes of both types are irreversible, and that Ironman exclusive perks such as titles will be removed.